Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Cow Patties Featured Owner, Karoline M.!

Welcome to the weekly Cow Patties Cloth Diapers Featured Owner post! We decided to start featuring Cow Patties Cloth Diapers owners for a few reasons. The biggest draw to it was to that although it may seem that disposable diapering is still the majority, cloth diapering is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds. There are people from all walks of life that cloth diaper- people just like you had the same fears and questions you do, they took the leap and it's a decision they feel good about. The second reason was to showcase beautiful babies and toddlers in Cow Patties products to help spread the word about the totally awesome and very cute Cow Patties line. Who doesn't love a fluffy butt?

This week's Featured Owner is Karoline M! Karoline has  a 5 month old son and lives in Ottawa, Canada.

How long have you been cloth diapering? How old were your kids when you started to CD them?
I have been cloth diapering my son for about 3 months now. We started out with disposables and couldn't believe the amount of GARBAGE!!! Very quickly we knew we had to make the switch and haven't looked back!

-What was your main motivation for starting to cloth diaper? If you were hesitant to start, why?
Besides the health impact, my main motivation was the vast amount of waist a baby can produce in the form of diapers/wipes etc. I knew there had to be a better option. While I was still pregnant, I had done some research but was overwhelmed with the amount of info available. We originally thought about going with a diaper service but quickly decided to just start our own stash based on the long term cost of a service vs. the cost of initial start up for an entire stash. 

-How did your significant other feel about it at first? How do they feel about it now?
My husband was VERY squeamish at the thought of **GASP** poo in the washing machine. Finally we (aka I) finally decided to take the plunge and start cding full time when our son was 2 months old (my hubbie couldn't believe how easy it was - and quickly got over his poo aversion :) And now he talks to all the other dads about how awesome cloth diapers are. Hee Hee totally converted :)

-How often do you do cloth diaper laundry?
I try for every 3 days but since I'm still on maternity leave I usually do it every other day (just because I'm crazy and like seeing my entire stash neatly pre stuffed and colour coordinated...don't ask I blame it on post partum hormones :)

-How many diapers are in your stash right now? How long did it take you to get to that many? Do you feel you have too many, not enough, or the perfect number?
Hmm, I have 29 going on 30 (just ordered a custom Cow Patties) I have MORE than enough. My original stash was 20 BG 3.0 & 4 Grasshopper AI2s- which I happily boasted was all we needed...and then I discovered prints...enough said lol. My initial purchase was actually "free" because our municipality had a $200 rebate for families starting cloth diapers and we received $300 baby bonus from the government. That covered the entire cost of start up so I bought my initial 24 diapers in one foul swoop. :) I would say that 20-24 would have been perfect for doing laundry every 2-3 days...but as I tell my hubbie - prints are like the accessories (you can never have too many :)

-Give us the scoop on the poop-how did/do you handle it?
So far my son is EBF so the poop isn't bad at all - even my hubbie who has a 'thing' with poo quickly got over it. I will say though that since our stash is primarily pockets - when it's a big poo that covers the opening, that insert is staying right were it is...I have my limits :) Since we are about to start solids we will be investing in a diaper sprayer because no one wants to see big boy poo going into the washer (most of all my husband)

-What was the biggest hurdle in your cloth diapering journey and how did you overcome it?
I guess our biggest thing was just getting started. The plethora of information available on the web is phenomenal. Originally we didn't know anyone we CD'd so it took a bit of research to decide what diaper system to go with. Plus, 3 of my girlfriends had babies around the same time I did and we all cloth diaper so we've been able to support each other, problem solve, discuss cloth diapering together etc which has been amazing! (and we get to spread the word of how awesome cloth diapering really is because nowadays it's rare to see a group of 4 babies all being cloth diapered in public!)

-If you could tell a potential cloth diaper-er one thing about cloth diapering what would it be?
I think that like anything else (breastfeeding, making baby food, cloth diapering etc) it seems overwhelming at first but once you get going it becomes second nature. It's always about taking that first step and sticking with it!
-What's your favorite Cow Patties Cloth Diaper product and why?
We only have the AI2s so I can't speak about the fitted but I love the AI2 - the looonnnnggg insert is perfect for customizing for boy vs girl. And I love love love the soft minky fabric!! and the prints are AMAZING....let's just say I ReAlLy like the diaper :)

-Where did you make your first Cow Patties Cloth Diaper purchase?
I bought it right from the facebook store.

No comments:

Post a Comment